Tuesday, September 6, 2011

in which i roll in royal blue

Photobucket

After yesterday's neutrals, I was craving some color this morning. I found this (too big) sweaterdress/tunic from Express at Goodwill recently and fell instantly in love with the color. I've been wanting a dress in this royal blue hue ever since I saw a brunette on The Bachelor wearing the color and looking lively and fun. (Inspiration can be found everywhere!) I've kind of been embracing the slouch/shirtdress lately, maybe because I need to go to the gym, but mostly because comfort is key when you're sitting in an office all day, and I feel like I'm wearing my pajamas!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(dress: express via goodwill; scarf: thrifted; boots: seychelles)

Since K and I have both been epically broke lately (and it's been grey/rainy), we've been spending a lot of time watching movies/TV shows on Netflix (well, mostly I have--he's been studying). Our most recent discovery is Party Down, a funny little show about Los Angeleans working for a catering company while waiting for their big breaks in Hollywood. This is my favorite kind of show: an understated and hilariously awkward character study in the spirit of The Office and Flight of the Conchords (which I hope everyone has seen/heard of). We also rather recently laughed all the way through the first season of The League, which I stumbled on because it stars married couple Mark Duplass and Katie Aselton (who I first saw in the charming indie comedy The Puffy Chair), who I think are great.

Oh, and Pinterest is awesome. I couldn't sleep last night and spent far too much time scrolling through the pins. It's not complicated anymore :) Mostly I was just annoyed that it forced me to create a Twitter!

10 comments:

  1. The colour of this dress is perfection, I would love a great easy shirtdress like this. It looks so wonderful with that scarf. Ahh flight of the concords is my favourite
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blue and gold together. I am a pinterest fan too!
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this color on you, it is not quite cold enough here to pull out the sweater dresses but I'm looking forward to it.

    We love Party Down! For more 'Not spending any money' nights you should make sure you check out 'The IT Crowd' and 'That Mitchel and Webb Look' they are both British but still really good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so simple and perfect. I love that yves klein kind of blue. I'm with you on being broke although I don't get netflix, maybe I should?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did love Flight of the Conchords so maybe Party Down could be my replacement show since it seems Conchords will not be making a comeback anytime soon. Shame since that show cracked me up...I mean epileptic dogs?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the pretty color of your sweater dress. Reminds me of one of my mom's old 80's ones that I have in my closet, except shorter. You look cute and cozy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar shirt-dress that my mom bought me one year, and I too love the colour.

    Oh, and herons are my favourite birds bar none...though hummingbirds have a special place too. And yes, we're in Ontario now, my parents have sort of moved back here. Vancouver is pretty different looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your random braid hiding in your hair:) and that color scheme is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I LOVE Party Down! So funny. And I totally have a version of this dress! It's stripy and wool and fabulous. I love your stylish take on this cobalt color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I have that dress! I always pair mine with black for some reason. You've totally inspired me to mix it with browns and other brights!

    ReplyDelete