Tuesday, May 17, 2011

in which i search my soul, jung-style

Photobucket

So much for not wearing my mustard cardigan! It's funny because even when cardigans were everybody's go-to in the blogosphere I rarely reached for one to finish off an outfit. But I was a bit rushed this morning and needed a quick burst of color, so voila! Something about this blouse always reminds me of the circus and I have no idea why. Speaking of the circus, has anyone seen Water for Elephants yet? It got pretty poor reviews but I still kind of want to see it... ? At the same time I feel like a movie this epic can't be less than awesome or it's not worth watching. Bad chick flicks, yes, okay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(cardigan: h&m; blouse/skirt/belt: thrifted; shoes: seychelles)

It's pretty amazing how incredibly lush our landscape has gotten because of all this rain. The thick fog and thicker greenery in the mountains makes me feel like I'm living in a rainforest. I'm not feeling very chatty today, and hardly introspective, despite the fact that I sat through a four-hour leadership training course today and discovered that I have an INFP personality type.

INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkward and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper. INFPs also appear frequently in social service professions, such as counselling or teaching. They are at their best in situations where they're working towards the public good, and in which they don't need to use hard logic.

Amen. This description of me is almost as spot-on as my Scorpio sun sign. Also:

INFPs present a calm, pleasant face to the world. They appear to be tranquil and peaceful to others, with simple desires. In fact, the INFP internally feels his or her life intensely. In the relationship arena, this causes them to have a very deep capacity for love and caring which is not frequently found with such intensity in the other types. The INFP does not devote their intense feelings towards just anyone, and are relatively reserved about expressing their inner-most feelings. They reserve their deepest love and caring for a select few who are closest to them. INFPs are generally laid-back, supportive and nurturing in their close relationships. With Introverted Feeling dominating their personality, they're very sensitive and in-tune with people's feelings, and feel genuine concern and caring for others. Slow to trust others and cautious in the beginning of a relationship, an INFP will be fiercely loyal once they are committed. With their strong inner core of values, they are intense individuals who value depth and authenticity in their relationships, and hold those who understand and accept the INFP's perspectives in especially high regard. INFPs are usually adaptable and congenial, unless one of their ruling principles has been violated, in which case they stop adapting and become staunch defenders of their values. They will be uncharacteristically harsh and rigid in such a situation.

TMI about me for a Tuesday afternoon? I just find all forms of psychological stereotyping endlessly fascinating, probably because they always seem to validate all of my eccentricities. What about you? Do you think that your zodiac sign is a good match? Do you know what your Briggs-Myers personality type is (check it out here if you want to know)? Or are you not that inward-reaching?

Embarrassing moment of the morning: Checking a close-up of my mug on my camera and seeing a car's headlights waiting patiently within the frame.

18 comments:

  1. I recently saw Water for Elephants...not a good movie, but a good guilty pleasure movie. If you see it just for Christophe Waltz then it's worth seeing. I love your outfit, the blouse is especially lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I want to see it too, but I can't believe that it will be as good as the book. I remember at school everyone went through a phase of doing personality quizzes and I still find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blouse! I think it's ok to keep wearing that cardigan, it really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to take that test, but couldn't decide on most of the answers, or could think of different situations where different answers would be applicable! I'm not really into star signs, as I again find that different descriptions will give you different personality types. I am a libra though, and on a superficial level I guess I like balance. In which case my lifestyle is kind of out of whack... ; D

    Oh, and I do like cardigans, and yellow!

    And, embarrassing indeed! I was fairly humiliated as a group of Germans watched Albs lie on his stomach to take pictures of my shoes the other day, but it's maybe not in the same league as self-portraits in the forest, hehe. Oh, fashion blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the mustard cardigan! I just packed mine up for the season, and I'm sad that it's in a box.

    Also, I'm an INFJ. I think we should be friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, I love that blouse and it is my favorite thing ever and I need one like it.

    Secondly, I LOVE personality tests and the like! I totally made a post about them a while back on my blog, but I'm too lazy to go back and link to it. We're almost the same Myers-Briggs type; I'm an INFJ, so apparently I judge instead of perceive? Hmmm, interesting! ;) I love that sort of thing as well though, it gives a bit of insight into a person even if it's not incredibly scientific. I loved reading your INFP description, we're actually a lot alike in many aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I come over and shop in your closet because every post I want at least one of your pieces!

    I just can't get enough, your looks are very inspiring!

    xx
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I took the test and I'm a ENTJ which apparently means that I am -Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.- which is so me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, hello fellow INFP. Welcome to the club. My bestie used to call me up from college and gush about how I was SOOOOOOOOO INFP, and I was like, "uhm, sure, whatever. I don't really believe in that stuff. I'm just a person, you know."

    And then I took the test as part of a counseling program. HELLO, self! Pretty amazing, really. And its been a very useful tool as well, in terms of helping me choose what to devote my time and energy to, and figuring out why I respond the way I do to certain people/situations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took that personality thing during one of my psych courses but cannot remember what I was. Now I'm really curious! I may have to go do it again
    I love the black, white and mustard combination. The striped top is lovely of course, and the bit of colour sets everything off very well
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took one of those personality tests a while ago and remembered thinking the description was spot on, but I can't remember what I was! Whoops.
    Anyway, I love that top! This outfit makes me want to break out my own mustard cardigan again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this outfit, its very school girl cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your outfit is quite lovely! (as usual :)) I've been embarrassed several times while trying to take photos, but its totally worth it! ;)

    http://prettylittlelayers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the skirt, especially paired with the lighter browns in the shoes and belt! I haven't seen Water for Elephants yet... I LOVED the book and I'm worried that the movie will ruin it in my mind... I'm sure I'll see it eventually though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caitlin my darling, can I just say I think it's awesome that all 4 of our Myers-Briggs elements are the opposite?! I'm ESTJ, who would have guessed... Do you think we're such good friends in spite of this, or perhaps it's because of our differences? Food for thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Briggs-Meyers fluctuates dependent on current moods and what situation I am framed in. Most frequently I come out as INFP or ENFP. I am quite taken with seeing personality as a set of subpersonalities or an internal family system a la Jung's archetypes. The neatest personality framework I have ever come across once you get used to the idea that (most) humans might not be as single minded as we like to think we are ;)


    So love the mustard and brown mix. Lush, calming and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so in love with this outfit! The colours are perfect! I'd totally wear this to work or uni (if I had the legs for a short skirt). One of my favourite outfits on you so far =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, crazy. I used to be more of an ENFP back in high school, but am now more ENFJ. But I think my P and J are very loose and switch back and forth depending on my mood. I love this test because unlike horoscopes and whatnot, I actually (almost) completely can relate to my description.

    I love this outfit a lot :) The combination of pattern, cut of your skirt, big bow + yellow are so perfect. I can see why the shirt reminds you of the circus though.

    I've been wanting to see Water for Elephants, but I honestly hardly ever pay 8+ dollars to see movies unless I'm seriously dragged by some group of people. Or if it's Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or something like that.

    ReplyDelete