Wednesday, March 30, 2011

in the navy

Photobucket

I feel about six feet tall in these shoes. And I like it. It's funny how standing alone on a deserted street in photographs day after day can create a completely deceptive perspective of our true proportions. Blogging does, in a way, lead us to draw comparisons between ourselves and other bloggers, but it simultaneously has the opposite effect because we stand alone on the page. I noticed that a lot of blogger meet-ups there is much mention when bloggers turn out to be surprisingly short, or toweringly Amazonian. In this space, shorties (like me, I'm only 5'2") and Amazons can stand almost on a level playing field.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(skirt/lace top/scarf: thrifted; slipdress/socks: uo; faux fur collar: h&m; shoes: charlotte russe)

This skirt is another one of many that I found at Goodwill weeks ago (because navy is the new black) and finally got around to hemming, then finally got around to wearing. It was a debatable length--I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut it or not since midis and maxis are all the rage this season, but (because I'm short) I still feel more comfortable with a mini length, so I cropped away. It's a nice, lightweight material that will transition seamlessly into spring and summer (whenever they decide to show their faces).

Also, holy smokes. I cannot believe that I danced all night in these shoes... I can hardly walk down a set of stairs without feeling like I might lose all feeling in my feet and consequently topple over. It's amazing what a good band and few grilled cheese sandwiches (for fuel) can do to help a girl suppress podiatric pain. Speaking of shoes, I drove all the way to the gym after work last night (which is about half an hour out of the way, all told) before realizing that I had forgotten my running shoes... so. annoying. Of course I promptly went home without a second thought and spent the next six straight hours working on my novel. I was very proud of myself, even if the dishes didn't get done (priorities, people). I was feeling stuck with my tv pilot and I realized it was because it wasn't what I really wanted to be working on... and look how productive I was when I listened to my creative conscience! No forcing, anymore!

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the writing! I read that Anthony Trollope wrote a certain amt of time a day- not matter what. Maybe if I did that I would accomplish something. Oh well, time for a sandwich so not today.
    Love the shoes!

    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Otis and James accessory giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is SO RAD that you are writing a novel. serious. SO RAD. you know what else is rad? your shoes and socks combo. even if you feel like you may topple over. you look hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit, but ESPECIALLY the lace top.

    Bravo on the six hour writing spree. I have two novels going (because who can focus on any ONE thing!), and I've found, especially these days, it's extremely difficult to sit down for long chunks of time. Would love to chat writing with you anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is sooo great, the lace and the navy skirt and your polka dot knee highs. So perfect together!! I'm also 5'2 (and a half!! whoo for the half inch) so I can relate haha

    Good on you for writing for so long, you must have been struck by some inspiration, thats so great
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a fellow shorty! Shorties unite! You're a half-inch taller than I am, though. Sigh. Still, you look much taller than that in your photos, you're very well proportioned. Is it creepy to say that? Likely. ;)

    Anywayyy, so what's your novel about? I feel like a failure of a writer since I haven't worked on any of my novels in months and months. I feel like I need to wait until I go to school for writing in the fall, but that's a stupid reason thing to think. I should just fuck it all and write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this outfit, you look adorable.

    Miranda
    www.indcfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lacey layers and those socks are so cool! I'm 5'2" and a half. The half is very important to me. Sometimes I round up and say I'm 5'3"... I guess it depends on how full my hair is that day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome stuff about your novel working frenzie and I am loving those knee highs by the way

    I was thinking about the height of bloggers recently and silly as it is it is one of those things I often wonder about. I feel I look quite short in some of my images (I guess I like to leave a lot of space around me) while so many bloggers I know aren't as tall as me appear tall indeed. Not that size matters but it 's fun to think what we'd all look like in a group shot. I think at over 5 feet 9 I'd be in the back row for sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the key necklace poking out from underneath the scarf

    ReplyDelete
  10. me you and meg along with our fellow vertically challenged folks should start a club :) Short girls rule! Love the thigh highs you have on here, sexy but in a cute way. Well done miss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the socks and love the lacy layers... just beautiful.

    Congrats on your creative juices. I can't wait to read your novel!!

    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I discovered your via chictopia and first of all love the title of your blog (one of my favourite films) and this outfit post is so amazing...you look uber cute and I adore it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww you look so darling here. I love this outfit to boot! The socks, the lace, the shoes! Ok lets face it, everything is amazing. Especially with those blue eyes of yours. *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh that skirt is such a great find! That and the shoes make your legs look like they go on for days!! Totally love the outfit, the thigh high socks are perfect.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when this scarf shows up in your photos. It has the best pattern and colors. And I'm also loving how you layered the slip dress and lace top. New fave, right here! :)

    Writing for six hours straight! Wow, that's awesome. I've always had this feeling that I'd like to write short stories or a novel, but have never produced anything substantial in terms of either. My ideas always fizzle out into a whole lotta nothin', haha.

    ReplyDelete