Thursday, July 8, 2010

the art of scarves

I never seem to have anything significant to say on Thursday. We're still suffering through this killer heat wave, I had a super-awkward encounter with a young gentleman who decided to cut through our alley en route to wherever it was that he was going (which happened to put my tripod directly in his path), my allergies are starting to clear thanks to the miracle of Loratadine, and there is another busy & fun-filled weekend looming just over the hazy horizon line.

(chambray skirt: H&M; shirt: Marshalls?; boots: ALDO; scarf: vintage)

When my mom and I were in Bethlehem, NH (on our way to the Conway outlets) we stopped at a few fabulous antique stores. I had already picked out this vintage scarf at the quirky Ragamuffins boutique (after lingering longingly over the beautiful hand-knotted Afghani rugs that were sadly out of my price range) when I happened upon a nice full-size accordian (K has been wanting one for months and his birthday is coming up...). While I called K to ask if he wanted me to get it for him (he's very picky--no surprises for that boy!), my mom sneakily bought this scarf for me :) K declined that particular accordian, but we're still looking! If you have any tips on where to find a relatively cheap, quality accordian in good condition, let me know!
Anyway, I love this scarf. It incorporates two of my most favorite colors (yellow and blue, the other being red--how primary of me!), and it has a great cubist/art deco quality.

(Farbstudie Quadrate, Wassily Kandinsky)

(Circus, Sonia Delaunay)

(Kiev, Aleksandra Ekster)

(Russia, Sonia Delaunay)

(Space-Force Construction, Liubov Popova)

(Vintage Scarf, Caitlin Flood)

I have a funny habit of curating found-object art exhibits in my mind, and as I wrote this post I dreamt up another one! How cool would it be to go to a gallery and see vintage scarves hanging in place of paintings? Maybe it's been done, I don't know. You could even display a couple of "sculpture" mannequins here and there with said scarves knotted in a variety of creative ways around their plaster throats! Another one of my harebrained ideas came from an observation I made on the beach one year that many of the colorful, smooth rocks that washed up with the tide resembled abstract art. I thought it would be an interesting exhibit if an artist produced a series of paintings inspired by the rocks and displayed the actual stones beside the replicas for comparison. Creativity comes in many forms, I suppose :)

1 comment:

  1. I love vintage scarves, that would indeed make a cool museum!

    ReplyDelete